Friday, February 26, 2010

Board Game Night part 2

We're hosting another board game night tomorrow and none of Josh's co-workers can make it. One of my co-workers who recently relocated from San Diego will be coming along with her husband. In preparation I have been cleaning today with Maegwin in the Ergo. Oh Ergo, how I love thee. She gets to be snuggled close to Mommy and I get to do pretty much all the things I could do while I was pregnant plus lifting more weight. I just finished doing the floor in the living room and straightening.

Whenever I polish the wood floors in our house I'm always struck by how old it is and yet how amazingly good it looks. I wonder how many times the boards were lovingly (or grudgingly) polished, how many sets of little feet raced and slid around on them, how long the house will last after I am no longer caring for it. This year our house is 110 years old, a quite venerable age. One of our neighbors, Claudia, is the great-granddaughter of the man who built our house back in 1900. I think about whether any of the houses we build today will be around in 110 years and will they look nearly as good? We probably won't stay here forever sadly because the school districts aren't that great and honestly we both work on the opposite side of the city so it doesn't make as much sense as when one of us was working. I think though, that I will always remember my first little house and have a special place for it in my heart and for a few years we get to be a part of its story.

I don't really have any cute new pictures. Maegwin has been a bit fussy the last few days so I've spent most of my time just soothing her. We did go out to visit my dad and stepmom on Wednesday. My dad has off Wednesdays and Thursdays so this was the last week we could go out and spend a day with him while I was off. Maegwin really enjoyed it and I know they loved seeing her. Sadly she hated the car ride back. At the best of times she hates her car seat and over an hour in it is like pure torture. At least she slept until we were about 30 minutes away from home so I didn't have to hear her cry pitifully for as long. I hate it because I can't do anything other than try to get where we're going as fast as we can.

We recently received some great gifts from the family. Josie & Matt sent us another six Bum Genius diapers so I think we are set with how many we wanted before starting daycare. Sara & Jonathan sent us a ton of board books from Emma and some great Under the Nile clothes and other outfits. They incidentally match the stuff Therese & Jay sent us so we can mix and match. Score! John & Shelly sent us an adorable summer outfit with one of those cute big floppy sun hats. I can't wait until she can wear it. It was like a tiny promise of summer in a box. We sure need it with all the snow around here. At least my first week back to work is supposed to be sunny all week!

I'm nearly done with Maegwin's hoodie. I finished the sleeves and started the hood yesterday. I just have to knit that up then seam it and put on some buttons. It's going to be so cute! It will also be my first foray into set in sleeves so I'm curious to see how that goes. I'll be busting out my Knitting Answers book for sure.

Maegwin is almost too long for her bassinet though I don't think she is ready to sleep upstairs yet since she isn't sleeping through the night. We'll have to break out her pack n' play soon to have downstairs.
almost too long
She has also almost outgrown all her footed sleepers because of her length. I've started storing all her baby clothes in a tub in case we choose to go through this whole adventure again. I also packed up all my maternity clothes. I never thought it would feel so good to wear real pants with zippers and buttons again!

No comments:

Post a Comment