Saturday, May 7, 2011

Totally random

This post is probably going to be all over the place. I realize that there was no post in April and there are a few reasons for that. I was traveling every week for at least one day and sometimes two. This put the house into an amazing amount of disarray not so much because being gone one day a week was bad but because at the beginning of April I was gone a few consecutive days and it just sort of piled up little by little. When I was home I tried to give all my energy and focus to my family, cleaning up the aforementioned mess, and getting the garden and plants in shape. Here are some things I discovered along the way:

1. I can work for 21 hours straight in a pinch. Yep, you read that right, two-one not one-two hours. This consists of getting up at 3 am to go to the airport, signing in there to work until I get on the plane, then working once at the office until 1 am.

2. If you check into your hotel at 1 am, there may only be one room left and even though you specifically reserved a non-smoking room it will be a smoking room. They will ask if this is ok because they know you can't say no at that point. I did say that I had no choice except to go back and sleep at the office which got them to throw in free breakfast, but I digress.

3. I have the most awful luck with travel. A whole group of us were making these trips and my flights were always delayed. ALWAYS. If I flew with co-workers, they were sucked into the miasma that is my bad flying karma. If I flew alone on a separate flight I'd be stuck for hours in another city while they all arrived on time and got a normal amount of sleep rather than four hours between checking into the hotel and going to work in the morning. I do not know why this is, but it is how it is. Pieces of planes broke (luckily always before we took off), tornadoes happened, etc.

4. I hate flying Delta or American. Their seats are small, they assign seats so I could not sit with people I knew, and their seat belts are odd. The last part is annoying because it causes an issue with my knitting. You see, gentle readers, I am a two circular knitting kind of gal so while I knit one set of circulars dangles. Those circular needles just happened to fit perfectly into the weird holes on the seat belt and this scraped the coating off two of them before I realized it. I was able to use my trusty nail file to make them somewhat bearable so I couldn't (shudder) not knit, but they are basically ruined and will need to be replaced. Delta and American also do not have as good of frequent flyer programs as Southwest and flying to Dallas is a lot of points to miss out on. Just sayin'.

5. Airport food is crap. There are a few exceptions to this but by and large it is crap. When I was trapped in Chicago O'Hare I had the time to go to Macaroni Grille and that was good. I got wine and it made me at least pleasantly buzzed enough to not care yet about being delayed for three hours. They also have a great bookstore.

6. Airports have a complete and utter disregard for nursing mothers and sick people. Columbus has no family bathrooms once you go through security. Thus whenever I was delayed and had to go pump, I had to go all the way back out and stand in the stupid line again. The other bit is from when I was stuck in Memphis. There was a girl in the bathroom who was throwing up for literally forty minutes. I called for paramedics. The airport's solution was to send a policewoman. She got her a bottled water (not bad) and said for her to take her time. We later heard her going in and telling that same girl she had to get on her plane. Uh...ok lady, she can barely stand at this point and has been vomiting for forty minutes. Don't you think maybe she should go to a hospital not on a plane? That ride for me went on to be the most turbulent of my life with lightning, thunder, and sheeting rain all around where I had to focus on not vomiting (and I have been known to sit on a boat in the middle of a tropical storm calmly eating a sandwich while others toss their cookies overboard) so I can't imagine that poor girl. Sometimes people really suck.

Anyway, long story short the travel is done until at least July and we decided that we should not travel to Texas during the spring. Lest you all think things are total crap, there was time to get adorable pictures. Maegwin spent a lot of time outside while we pulled down the old fence destroyed by the deer and erected a new and improved fence. She got acquainted with the gnome.
IMG_2832
She pointed out his nose and eyes to Mommy and Daddy. She is quite good at that.
IMG_2834
She spent time picking the grape hyacinths that shoot up wildly and randomly in our yard this time of year.
IMG_2852
She selected a stick to practice her ninja fighting skills.
IMG_2857
It was just a little big for her (this is a branch that fell off one of the trees).
IMG_2859

That's about all the blogging I have in me for right now. I'm nursing a double ear infection and am pretty tired today. Next time: the first Easter egg hunt and what knitting I've finished during my long blogging hiatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment