Wednesday, January 21, 2009

We did it!

We survived until the new president! I have watched every inauguration that has happened in my lifetime and I have to say at no others did I feel so...good. I felt great yesterday. It was like a great weight was lifted off my shoulders. I don't really know how to express it, but I hope someday I can tell my children how things were during the last eight years and hopefully how they changed. I'm excited that science will once again have a place of respect. What can I say, my husband is an unemployed chemist. We need more science. I am also pleased that climate change is finally not something we will be arguing about the existence of but rather what to do about.

Anyway, off my soapbox and onto knitting. I worked on my Blackrose socks from Knitty.com's newest issue. I am knitting them in Handmaiden Casbah and let me just say I freaking LOVE this yarn. It is soooo soft. It's a bit dark to see the pattern but I don't even care. I am enjoying the experience of working with it so much that I could be knitting plain stockinette and still be having a blast. I finished almost one entire leg while watching the inauguration at work. They were sweet enough to broadcast it for us in the cafe so we could all see it and ostensibly not suck up their bandwidth streaming it 4,000 times.

My husband and I were awakened the other night to a sound very like a spoon tapping on the counter over and over. Now, this freaked us both out because it was coming from inside the house. Josh loaded up the shotgun and stalked the house, finding nothing. We sort of wrote it off to weird old house syndrome until this morning. I opened up my lunchbag to find...mouse droppings. Yes, we have been invaded by a mouse. My guess is it probably tried to find a place out of the subzero temps we have been experiencing. The fact that it has lived this long is ironic because I live with these characters:



Three RAT terriers. They are bred to hunt and kill small game and vermin. My oldest,Einstein, has even killed a rat and a mouse in his day. Planck has gone up and made friends with a gopher. Cordova is as yet untested (though she ignored said gopher completely to go lick our neighbor). So kids, you're on report. I expect results pronto. Let's see how they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment